Sunday, November 19, 2006

Word of the Day



portage
–noun

1. the act of carrying; carriage.

2. the carrying of boats, goods, etc., overland from one navigable water to another.
3. the route over which this is done.
4. the cost of carriage.

–verb (used without object)
5. to make a portage: On this stretch of the river, we have to portage for a mile.

–verb (used with object)

6. to carry (something) over a portage; make a portage with: We portaged our canoe around the rapids.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1375–1425; late ME <>


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aho Creek,
Sorry I missed the campout, although my tee-pee did make it. Unfortunately the white mans black plague infiltrated the Cloud family and to protect my tribe I avoided human contact.

I hope the campout went well. I can't wait to hear about the new trouble Creek got into.

See you all in December at the next meeting and parade.

Black Cloud

P.S. Click my name for a treat.